Monday, November 8, 2010

We Are Not As Strong..... As We Think We Are

One of my absolutely favorite moments in Chicago Bulls history was courtesy of Scottie Pippen at the expense of New York Knick's center, Patrick Ewing.  To sum it up, Ewing jumped to block a Pippen dunk but Pippen jumped higher.  Ewing was strong but Pippen was stronger.  Ewing's giant wingspan stretched as far as it could reach to block the Bull's player but Scottie's will was stronger and with rim-rocking authority, he dunked over Ewing as the two collided in mid air.  For a second, it appeared that the two became one - like two meteors smashing into each other head on.  Ewing went crashing to the ground, finding himself on his back while Pippen pounced like a puma.  Pippen landed and proceeded to walk over Ewing as he taunted him.  Man, I love that story.  I can't wait till my kids are old enough to understand so that I can tell them that story every single night.  Or will I?  Now that I think of it, why do I love that story so much again?  Okay, now I'm a little nervous to investigate this.  I feel another Rich Mullins reference coming soon.  But before that, let me do some introspection here.  

God has really been working on my pride lately.  I feel like it's the theme of every sermon I hear, song I listen to, or literature I read.  I've begun to look at the way I live and realize that I think way too highly of myself.  The reality is, I would be wrong if I thought a little too highly of myself.  There is no good reason for me to think highly of myself at all.  That's not what I was taught growing up.

As I get older, I'm less than impressed by arrogant athletes.  I've been told by some younger than me that if you're good enough, then you have the right to be arrogant, the right to boast and bring glory to yourself.  Obviously, they've never read James 4 where he says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."  I know, I know, it's just sports.  Or is it?  Or can we just group all celebrities together and drop the gavel on them?  GUILTY!  Phew, most of us don't fall into the category of professional athlete, rock/pop/rap star, celeb, etc. so we feel somewhat exempt.  However, I've come to wonder if what we've witnessed on the silver screen, on youtube, or television is really a glorified presentation of what we are already feeling inside.  Or maybe it's what we want to feel inside.  We have the Pinky and the Brain syndrome because we want to rule the world.  At the very least, we want to rule our own lives.  We want to be the captains of our ships and we are told (or brainwashed from birth) to take life by the horns.  Is that so wrong though?  Should we not be driven?  Of course, but the real question is, "Who's the Driver?"

Remember the "God is my Co-Pilot" bumper sticker?  It sounds nice but it's based on a flawed premise: that we are flying the plane.  The crazy thing is that our actions prove that we believe this premise.  However, can I point us back to world history as evidence to the fact that when we steer the ship, we crash and burn and the casualties are always abundant?  I think Rich Mullins hit the nail on the head in his song, We Are Not as Strong, as We Think We Are.  He opens the song with these lyrics:

Well, it took the hand of God Almighty, to part the waters of the sea
But it only took one little lie, to separate you and me
Oh, we are not as strong as we think we are

This is what happens when man assumes the role of God.  We screw things up.  We perceive ourselves as strong when we are weak.  We boast of what we accomplished in this life when we are nothing and God does not need us.  We take credit for His works.  We want to make so much of ourselves in this life.  We want to win or die trying and if that is the case, we will always die trying because we do not even have the power to live.  Only God can be the source of life and strength.  If Rich Mullins' opening lyrics don't make an impact in your heart, examine his chorus:

We are frail, we are fearfully and wonderfully made
Forged in the fires of human passion, choking on the fumes of selfish rage
And with these our hells and our heavens, so few inches apart
We must be awfully small and not as strong as we think we are
 

Paul says that we are jars of clay and that the only reason that we are not broken is because God is sustaining us...every breath.  Stronger men and women than us have died, many of them with unfinished business.  We are frail and created by our heavenly Father.  However, it is our passion and our sin that tainted us.  For when man strives to do what only God should do, we fall hard.  And when we fall, broken in pieces, it is there that we are reminded that we are awfully  small and not as strong as we think we are.

When you love you walk on the water
Just don't stumble on the waves
We all want to go there somethin' awful
But to stand there it takes some grace
'Cause oh, we are not as strong
As we think we are

I remember Audio Adrenaline's song that said, "If I keep my eyes on Jesus I can walk on water."  The problem in this is that it is difficult to keep my eyes on Jesus.  I get nervous with the waves around me or even worse when I start to look at myself and become impressed that I'm accomplishing such a feat.  I am so wretched.  I'm beginning to understand how truly amazing God's grace is to save someone like me.  I'm also starting to learn that walking with Jesus takes God's grace and not my will power or my talents.  God does not need me and because of that, I cannot take credit for anything good I've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment